Skidmore continues to win the hearts of motivated students with gorgeous scenery, caring faculty, and its flexibility, openness, and receptivity to change and growth.Fiske Guide to Colleges
Founded more than a century ago and located in Saratoga Springs, New York, on a beautiful 1,000-acre campus, Skidmore is a highly regarded liberal arts college known for its creative approaches to just about everything.
Located 30 miles north of Albany, New York State’s capital, Saratoga Springs is perennially short-listed as one of the most interesting and vibrant small cities in the U.S. Famed for “health, history, and horses” — its mineral waters, the nearby Revolutionary War battlefield and the nation’s oldest thoroughbred racetrack — Saratoga is equally renowned as an arts and cultural destination. The Saratoga Performing Arts Center is summer home to the New York City Ballet and the Philadelphia Orchestra and is a performing venue for top rock and jazz musicians.
西藏11选5-英超直播The city’s dynamic downtown area — just a short walk from Skidmore — is brimming with galleries, clubs, museums, shops, coffeehouses and restaurants. The city’s location near the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains puts an abundance of outdoor recreational opportunities within an hour’s drive. Boston, New York City and Montreal are each approximately 180 miles from the campus.
Program: 西藏11选5-英超直播four-year private, nondenominational, coeducational, liberal arts
Degrees: B.A., B.S.
Calendar: 西藏11选5-英超直播fall and spring semesters, followed by two optional five-week summer sessions, internships and collaborative research opportunities
Number of Majors: 西藏11选5-英超直播43
Most Popular Majors: English, business, psychology, political science, economics, studio art, theater, biology and environmental studies
Minors: Most majors have corresponding minors. Minors are also available in arts administration, black studies*, Chinese, intergroup relations (IGR), Italian, Japanese, Latin American and Latinx studies, media and film studies, and statistics. (Note: *Black Studies is officially a minor beginning in Fall 2020.)
Courses Offered: more than 1,000
Class Size: Average is 16, and 94 percent of classes have fewer than 30 students
Faculty: 西藏11选5-英超直播320 full-time; 80 percent hold the doctoral or highest degree in their fields. Skidmore faculty have earned national and international recognition including Guggenheim, MacArthur, Pulitzer and Emmy awards, and major fellowships and grants from Fulbright, Getty, NEH, NIH, NSF and the Andy Warhol Foundation.
Student-Faculty Ratio: 8 to 1
Degree requirements: Students are responsible for completing all requirements for graduation.
- A minimum of 120 credit hours of course work. A minimum of 60 credit hours must be completed at Skidmore.
- Satisfaction of the grade-point standard. A cumulative grade-point average of 2.000 in all course work completed at Skidmore College and a 2.000 in all course work in the major field, as well as in any declared minor.
- Fulfillment of the liberal arts requirement. Candidates for the bachelor of arts degree must complete a minimum of 90 credit hours of course work designated as liberal arts. Candidates for the bachelor of science degree must complete a minimum of 60 credit hours of course work designated as liberal arts. Double majors completing both B.A. and B.S. requirements must complete 90 hours of liberal arts credit. Only one degree is awarded.
- Fulfillment of the maturity-level requirement. Successful completion of a minimum of 24 credit hours of course work at the 300 level at Skidmore College. Twelve credit hours of 300-level course work must be taken in the senior year, 6 of these 12 in each major field.
- Fulfillment of a Scribner Seminar, unless exempted.
- Fulfillment of the foundation requirements: Quantitative Reasoning 1 and 2 and Expository Writing.
- Fulfillment of the breadth component in four areas: Arts, Humanities, Natural Sciences and Social Sciences.
- Fulfillment of the Culture-Centered Inquiry requirement: two courses, one course at the appropriate level in a foreign language or foreign literature in its nontranslated form, and one course designated as either non-Western culture or cultural diversity study.
- Declaration and satisfaction of requirements for a major program.
In addition, the student is responsible for fulfillment of all financial obligations to the college and for successfully fulfilling all social and academic integrity obligations stipulated by the Integrity Board, the Dean of Student Affairs, and the Dean of the Faculty and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
西藏11选5-英超直播Students are encouraged to monitor progress toward degree completion by referencing degree audits produced weekly by the Office of the Registrar.
Faculty-student collaborative research: Annually, nearly 500 students (20% of the student body) engage in research with a faculty mentor, including more than 80 in the Summer Student-Faculty Research Program.
Internships: Nearly 85% of students participate in an internship during their Skidmore career, a number of which are funded by the College.
Service-learning courses: Nearly 70% of students take at least one service-learning course while at Skidmore.
Off-campus study: With about 60% of students studying abroad at some point during their college years, Skidmore is perennially ranked in the top five nationally on a list of top 40 baccalaureate institutions for number of students studying abroad for a semester. Students can choose from 118 programs in 45 countries, including Skidmore-run programs in England, France, New Zealand and Spain.
Periclean Honors Forum: 250 students are members of this enhanced student intellectual community that sponsors the annual Academic Festival.
Independents, capstones, and theses: Skidmore students completing a culminating project in their major—approximately 75%
senior capstone, 50% independent study and 30% senior thesis or advanced research
Honors: Phi Beta Kappa; college and departmental honors; Periclean Honors Forum; affiliations with national honor societies in classics, economics, history, mathematics, physics, psychology, sociology and Spanish
Preprofessional and Cooperative Programs:
- Prelaw advising
- Premedical and health professional advising
- 4+1 M.B.A. programs (Clarkson, Rochester Institute of Technology)
- Whitman M.B.A. Advantage Program, 4+1 M.S.A., and 4+1 M.S.F. (Syracuse)
- Dual-degree engineering programs (Clarkson, Dartmouth, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)
- B.S.N. (New York University School of Nursing—15 or 18 months)
- Dual-degree programs in occupational therapy and physical therapy (Sage Graduate School)
- Internships (for academic credit and funded summer programs)
- Applied civic-engagement courses
- Periclean Honors Forum
- Faculty-student collaborative research (academic-year and summer program)
- International and domestic off-campus study options
- Moore Documentary Studies Collaborative
Enrollment: approximately 2,500 students from 40 states and 70 countries
Gender Mix: 40% men, 60% women
Diversity: Domestic students of color: 24%; international students: 12%; students with dual passports: 6%; first-generation college students: 15%
Retention Rate: 西藏11选5-英超直播95% (fall to fall)
Student Clubs and Organizations: nearly 120
Club and Intramural Sports: approximately 20
Men’s and Women’s Varsity Sports: 19 teams participating in the Liberty League, except for ice hockey (ECAC East) and riding (Intercollegiate Horse Show Association)
The beautiful 1,000-acre campus, 300 acres of which consists of the recreation- and research-rich North Woods, has been upgraded in recent years with renovations to dining and residential facilities. The new Center for Integrated Sciences (CIS) is slated for partial completion in Fall 2020. Skidmore's newest academic building is the Zankel Music Center, a 54,000-square-foot facility with a spectacular 600-seat recital hall and state-of-the art recording studio. In addition, the Northwoods Apartments, opened in 2007 for upperclassmen, feature "green" apartments that use geothermal heating and cooling systems. The similar Sussman Village Apartments西藏11选5-英超直播 opened in 2013. And the , opened in 2000, has earned a national reputation through exhibitions that feature contemporary art but also address disciplines such as the natural and social sciences.
Sustainability: 西藏11选5-英超直播In recent years, our Community Garden has produced more than 6,000 pounds of organic food for the dining hall. We’ve saved over 85,000 pounds of food waste from the landfill, thanks to our student-run composting program, and we’ve cut 45% of greenhouse gas emissions from since 2000 thanks to renewable energy and efficiency efforts. In all, 19% of campus electricity is generated by our hydroelectric dam (8%) and solar field (11%). And 35% of campus is geothermally heated and cooled, with 45% projected in the near future.
Admission: Highly competitive; last year, Skidmore received more than 11,000 applications for
a first-year class of 740 (including 32 students choosing to spend their first semester
in Skidmore’s First-Year London Program); 30% were offered admission; nearly 50% enrolled
Early Decision; median SAT and ACT test scores for enrollees are 1330 and 29, respectively.
Financial Aid: Skidmore annually provides approximately $53 million in financial aid, approximately 20% of our operating budget. The average 2019–20 first-year aid package was $44,000, ranging from $2,000 to $65,000; 47% of students received need-based grants; 50% received some form of financial aid; and 50% were given the opportunity to work on campus. Average postcollege student debt is below the national average.
- Porter Presidential Scholarship in Science and Mathematics: $15,000 annually ($60,000 over four years) to 12 to 14 students per class
- Filene Music Scholarship: $15,000 annually ($60,000 over four years) to four to six students per class
- Skidmore Scholars in Science and Mathematics: Up to eight S3M scholars with demonstrated financial need annually receive financial aid packages with no loan component in the first two years and with reduced loans in years three and four.
Costs 2019–20: 西藏11选5-英超直播 $56,172 tuition and fees, $8,868 dorm-double room and $6,132 board.